Reports to: Director of Development & Marketing
Status: Full-time, Salary Exempt
Long Beach Symphony seeks an Associate Director of Development with responsibility for $600,000 in annual giving and events fundraising. The successful candidate will have at least 3 years in managing non-profit fundraising events, including galas, golf tournaments, raffles, and donor parties, will be experienced in running Board and volunteer committees and has directed annual fund campaigns for a non-profit organization. The ideal candidate will have excellent communications skills and will be a self-starter.
• Direct the annual fund of 10K or less individual donors with goal of increasing revenue by 20%.
• Manage all planning, budgets, and implementation for three major fundraising events:
• CRESCENDO Spring Gala
• Symphony Golf Tournament
• Twilight Dinner
• Manage all vendor relationships and contracts for special events, solicit sponsorships, auction and in-kind trade donations, and conduct site visits. Serve as the main lead of Board committees for all special events.
• Participate in additional patron and donor events throughout the year including all post-concert receptions.
• Serve as the point person and liaison for Symphony’s main volunteer organization, including attending all volunteer council meetings and overseeing volunteer communications.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher with excellent communications skills.
• 3 or more years in managing non-profit special events with proven track record in generating revenue.
• Strong planning and project management skills with a keen eye for detail.
• Well-organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
• Able to work in situations where prompt response and quick decision-making is necessary.
• Kind demeanor with the flexibility to work in both elegant and backstage working conditions.
• Must be available to work all event weekends and evenings.
• Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
Long Beach Symphony offers a complete health benefits package, paid vacation and holidays.
Long Beach Symphony is an equal employment opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
• Email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Long Beach Symphony:
Long Beach Symphony celebrates its 83rd season as a 501(c)(3), 80+ member professional orchestra whose mission is to provide the Long Beach community and areas within a 15-mile radius with high quality traditional and contemporary orchestral music and educational experiences. We feature some of Southern California’s finest symphonic musicians and celebrate the inaugural year of our new Music Director, Eckart Preu.
As one of the largest and most significant music institutions in the region, our 16 full symphonic concerts and educational programs reach 60,000 individuals per year. Many of our musicians also perform with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, Los Angeles Opera, as well as in major recording studios.
The Symphony is loyally governed by a 40+ member Board of Directors and managed by a staff of 11. Under a new leadership team since 2013, Long Beach Symphony has galvanized the community with new community partnerships, exciting new Board members, the most successful fundraising event of the Symphony’s history, and an inspiring new Music Director.
Long Beach Symphony fills the gap between Los Angeles and Orange County by making quality symphonic music geographically attainable and affordable for area residents and businesses. In addition, our proximity to the Port of Long Beach engenders support from the newly burgeoning Blue Economy.
Our annual season programs include:
1. Classical Series – Six full symphonic concerts ranging from traditional classical favorites to new works that broaden the musical horizons of our patrons all under the baton of Maestro Eckart Preu. Serves 15,000+.
2. POPS! Series – Five concerts of popular orchestral music held in an indoor picnic environment with popular guest artists. Serves 20,000+.
3. New Family Series – Newly created concert focused on the community and its families with outdoor musical playground.
4. Education Programs – 150 sequential, standards-based music education programs for K-12. These programs span every elementary school in Long Beach plus 4 in Wilmington and continue a 30-year partnership with the LB Unified School District. Serves 24,000+.
Our entire Education Program consists of: 55 Elementary ensemble teaching performances by Symphony musicians for every 2nd and 3rd grade LBUSD student; Four full symphonic youth concert fieldtrips for all LBUSD 5th graders; Open Rehearsals for 100s of Middle School orchestra students; Side by Side Mentorship Performances for 100 top high school orchestra members; Six Classroom Workshops and Masterclasses with our conductors and guest soloists at middle and high school music classrooms; 6) Instrument “Petting Zoos” at 16 local libraries to allow preschool and Kindergarten children and their families to touch and feel orchestral instruments.